Friday, May 9, 2008

I don't even know me anymore


I am not a girly girl. I rarely dress up, rarely wear makeup. I let the hair on my legs grow out way too long. I was a tomboy as a child - the only reason I could see for wearing a dress as a kid was so that I could more easily pee outside.

I wasn't going to dress Zoe up in a bunch of frilly, girly, pink crap. I told everyone "no pink!" and my mother-in-law joked that I was going to turn Zoe into a butch lesbian.

I used to make fun of my friend Stephanie for being so into girly clothes for her daughters...I even went as far as to refer to her as Gymboree's bitch. I am not proud.

Especially not now.

Not after what happened yesterday. The day I went into Gymboree and bought oodles of VERY GIRLY clothes for my baby girl. I have given in because she just looks so freakin' cute in pink. I bought stuff I would have never guessed I would like or want for Zoe.

WHO AM I?

I guess the floodgates have been opened. But that does not mean frills and lace - it means clothes that could not be mistaken for a boy's. You mark my words. I'm toeing the line, but I am not crossing over into frills and lace. I still have some pride left.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might I say, there is a difference between cute girl clothes and "girlie" clothes. It's not like she's dressed in huge headbands with bows and ugly pink dresses, you just like cute, playful, colorful clothes on her.

If you were putting her in foofy dresses, that would be one thing, but pink is cute on that lil' chubby one, so fuck whatcha heard.

Anonymous said...

She's definitely lovely in pink and blue. I agree with Jess...it's not too fufu...no ruffly socks please or elastic bands about the head. And then, let her decide as she is able to make her own selection. That's what your grandma told me to do Chelsea, when you picked out some garish combos to wear.
I love you...
It's parenting a trip?!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Holy moly! If this little girl gets any cuter, I'm going to explode!

Katherine