Thursday, July 3, 2008

7 months

Dear Zoe,

I can't believe it, but on Sunday you'll be 7 months old. I don't understand how this has happened. I think you're going to have to accept that your mom will always probably look slightly stunned at how fast your life is going. Is it possible that my little tiny baby is 7 months old, nearly 20 lbs and is popping out her two front teeth?

In a word, NO.

Not possible! But, still it's happening.

You are growing so fast. It makes me feel sort of weepy that you're no longer a little tiny baby but it's so much fun to watch you grow and make new discoveries. You are considering movement...you act like you want to figure out this crawling business and you give it a little bit of a chance but usually end up exasperated with your head face down on the floor. You'll figure it out, baby girl. I am trying to deal with the conflicting feelings of wanting you to crawl because it will open up the world to you (and I can't wait to see how delighted you'll be) and the not wanting it to happen because of the end-of-my-life-as-I-know-it-ness.

My favorite Zoe-ism of the moment is this fanning thing you do with your wrists. You pick up a toy or piece of fabric or paper and start fanning it, like you're an old southern lady, or you're playing the tambourine. See below. It seriously cracks me up. Sometimes while we are driving in the car I will look back and see you with one arm up and the other arm up and shaking your rattle in that fanning motion and I just bust out laughing. You are the MOST FUN, Zoe B.


Fanning herself like a southern belle from chelsea on Vimeo.

You're still not much for the food, but you did eat peas when we were in New York visiting Aunt Jess. I have tried avocado, strawberry, and refried beans with no luck. Maybe you're waiting for something really delicious like cake to introduce you to the world of food, in which case I wouldn't blame you. Cake is good stuff. You do like to suck on ice cubes through your little mesh thing that your Grandma Patty made fun of me for buying. I think it must feel good on your choppers.

You were such a good traveler on our trip to NYC. I knew you would be. You have patience, which must have come from your Dad's family because my family doesn't have any of it. I'm glad for you, Zoe B, because having patience will make life a lot easier. Anyway, your Aunt Jess was so glad to see you and had a great time showing you off to all of her friends. You're pretty much famous there. As we were waiting in line for the plane at La Guardia and no one was letting us through, I thought of saying, "Don't you know who this baby is? THIS IS ZOE B. She's practically a celebrity. Now kindly let us through." The people at that airport are total dicks. But, never mind. Doesn't matter. What matters is how spectacularly charming you were to everyone we met.

Since I promised myself I wouldn't cry while writing this, I must now sign off before I start getting all emotional. It's just that I love you so freakin' much, kid.

Ok, going.

I love you. Way too much.

Love,
Momma

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Zoe,
You are so cute and wonderful; if I were growing up in the sweating belt, I'd have learned to fan much earlier as well. You are so smart!
Your Mom just likes to say those things about me and the gadgets she buys for you because Jeez what's more fun than a Walgreenes' crackly pharmacy bag? Huh? She was a child that was not so inundated with gadgets and look how wonderful she turned out. Your Grandma and Grandpa are way more practical (but also very entertaining). I am so glad that your Momma enjoys and loves you as much as we did her.
Love you sweetie,
Grammy Patty

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoe,
You are soooooooo smart and so darn cute, you must take after lots of your cousins'. But don't grow up too
fast; the real world isn't quite as fun.
Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks...it's been a long time since I met you and I'm so looking forward to our next visit! You're the best.
Much love,
GAE
Xoxoxox

Jessica said...

I think the best thing about this video is that her hands are flapping all around in anticipation of the paper. That is JUST. SO. CUTE.

Also, those leg warmers are so adorable my head is threatening to explode.